Just got done shoveling the two inches of sleet from the sidewalk. My god. A shovelful of that stuff weighs more than my life's worth. It's nowhere near done precipitating, but I figured that I might as well do it before J comes home from work and has to come up the walk.

I ended up driving in this crap this afternoon. When I went out at about 10:45, it was raining. By the time I reached exit three of the Turnpike (heading north) it had turned to a wintry mix. By the time I got off on exit 4, I was driving through large pellets of sleet that were coating the ground like snow.

When I headed home at 2pm, there was at least a half-inch of the filthy, wretched stuff on the ground and encasing my poor, freshly-washed car in a tight shell of ice. Of course, the de-icer was iced into the cargo area. I got in the driver's side, though, since it was facing south-east, and let the car warm up with the defrost on high. Soon, the wipers were able to slough off the ice and I crawled home, seeing as the Turnpike speed limit (which had been lowered to 45 from 65 on my way up) has been lowered to 35 for the duration of the storm.

A half-hour run took me over an hour, and I did not make my planned stops at the grocery store or Pep Boys. Instead, I headed directly back to the farm, made some tea, and let my muscles start to relax from what had been a very tense driving experience. I passed at least two accidents between exits 3 and 2. I wish J had taken her boss up on the offer to let everyone leave early. She doesn't get out 'til 7, and it will be far worse by then.

Oh, well. At least I shoveled.

Need more tea.
Tags:
.

Profile

ivymcallister: (Default)
ivymcallister

Most Popular Tags

Powered by Dreamwidth Studios

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags